Thursday, May 26, 2011

Joplin,NY Times Op-ED

Of course when I wrote of Topeka and tornado damage, I meant to write of Joplin, Mo, but had a senior moment. That does not lessen my pain when I look at the photos of the town.

The New York Times had an op-ed today that showed how some expensive treatments whose effectiveness is not fully substantiated by medical evidence is costing medicare billions. It is time to revisit payments for many of these high-cost, frequently performed procedures. Are my fellow physicians merely lining their own pockets, or can they submit verifiable evidence that the procedures they perform are really necessary. Remember your oath- primum non nocere ( first do no harm.)

I am also following closely the proposed Vermont law which will provide health insurance for all. I will be interested to see how it will be funded. Once again will New England lead the country?

No comments: